03 Jul Board Minutes – June 21, 2019
METROPLEX SENIOR CITIZENS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
Subject: Association Board Meeting – June 21,2019
1. Tom Athens, President, called the meeting to order.
2. Tom lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. The Board said the Lord’s Prayer.
4. The March 21st Minutes were approved.
5. Jim Delmar, Treasurer, reported we had $6,267.44 in the checking account. There was a motion and second to accept the report. The motion was approved.
6. The second half schedules were handed out.
7. 2nd Half Lewisville games will move back to Lewisville State Park(200 Lake Park Road)
8. David McKenzie recommended the board consider having an 65+ East vs West All Star game next year.
9. Tom restated that during the season a player can only play in one division at a time. For example, a player cannot play Tuesday on a 55+ team and then play Thursday on a 65+ team.
10. End of Season Softball Tournaments. Senior Men 55+ will be played 9/30-10/2(Hurst Athletic Complex). Lower Senior Men 65+ will be played 9/30-10/4. Upper Senior Men 65+ will commence 10/1. The Lower Senior 65+ will commence 10/2. Both 65+ tournaments will be held at the Harold Patterson Complex in Arlington. If any of the tournaments are rained out, games will be played the following weeks.
11. Since the Board previously agreed to have the tournaments start immediately after the conclusion of the regular season, it is extremely important that coaches send the scores to Dennis by the end of the day of the last game played. The last week of league play will count towards tournament positioning. One potential issue is getting the tournament brackets(times) to coaches.
12. Team rosters for tournament play have to be set by Sept 10th. Players who join a team after the 10th cannot play in the tournament.
13. The end of the season golf tournament contract has been signed and deposit paid. It will be held at the same place as last year – Prairie Lakes in Grand Prairie. The date is Wednesday, 10/16. The fee will remain at $45 per golfer and includes a BBQ Dinner provided by Eddlemons.
14. The break between the 1st and 2nd Half is June 28th thru July 15th. Second half play begins July 16th.
15. Officer elections will be held at the November meeting for the offices of President, Secretary and Member-at-Large. Anyone interested in running should contact Rich. Dennis Bashore also announced that this will be his last term as Secretary.
16. If a coach requested additional softballs, they will be distributed at the end of the meeting.
17. Tom asked that coaches not approach league officers with questions while they are playing in their games. They and their teams should be should be allowed to play their games without interruption. Coaches should be able to come to an agreement between themselves. If that cannot be done to a rule interpretation or possible illegal player, use the protest procedures as outlined in the bylaws and complete your game.
18. Tom lead a discussion about the interpretation of Batting Order Rule 5B. A motion was made, seconded and approved to modify the current rule. The addition to the rule in is BOLD.
a. Batting Order and Substitutes: Players may be substituted for at the manager’s discretion. (See 6E below for details.) If a roster player arrives after the start of the game, he may enter the game immediately. In all Divisions, if a player is taken out of the game, he can return but must return in the same batting order. Once the game has started, if a player is taken out of the game due to an injury or a requirement that the person exit for any reason the softball complex, and there is no one to substitute for him, the team will not be required to take an automatic out in that player’s batting turn as the game progresses. The remainder of the rule is unchanged.
19. It was agreed that the protest procedure should be moved from the ByLaws to the rules.
20. Tom adjourned the meeting.