28 Feb MSCSA Board Meeting Minutes – Feb 20, 2020
METROPLEX SENIOR CITIZENS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
Subject: Association Minutes from the February 20, 2019 meeting.
1. Tom Athens, President, called the meeting to order.
2. Tom led the Pledge of Allegiance and the Lord’s Prayer.
3. There was a motion to approve the 11/21 minutes. It was seconded and approved.
4. Tom let everyone know that Jim Delmar had fallen and was in rehab. Our current checking account balance is $2,388.05.
5. Due to the unfortunate death of Bill Mego(League Secretary), the Executive Committee is suggesting the following: Dennis Bashore to move from Member-at-Large to Secretary and Rich Kaczmarski return as Member-at-Large. There was a motion to support these changes. It was seconded and approved.
6. The 2020 season starts on 3/31.
7. Each coach received a flyer concerning Cas Irvin(member of the Old Pros). Cas has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is having difficulty paying his medical bills. If anyone would like to like to contribute, they can by logging into the GoFundMe website.
8. New Coaches for the Richardson Raiders: Ron Starling, Mgr and Larry Leonard, Asst Mgr.
9. Tom passed out 40 year Commemorative pins to all the Coaches. Every player will receive a pin and hopefully we will have enough to provide long time members who my no longer be playing.
10. Last year’s 65+ schedules were “weighted” so that the best teams played each other at the beginning of the season. Tom asked if we wanted to do that again this year. There was a motion to NOT have a “weighted” schedule. It was seconded and approved.
11. The 2020 Golf Tournament is scheduled for 10/21 at Prairie Lakes GC. We are looking for someone to volunteer to run it.
12. Website updates have been made to include rainout numbers, directions to new ballparks, new umpire’s corner entries, current announcements etc. Website is now a secure site. If you have trouble signing in, insert an “s” after the http.
13. We will have a Umpires’ Clinic on 3/24 at Mike Lewis Field in Grand Prairie. It will begin at 10am and be conducted by David Martin.
14. DUDLEY has elevated our league to Platinum Status. That means we do not pay for shipping. For $1/dz we can get our logo put on our softballs. There was a motion to accept their offer. It was seconded and approved.
15. Dennis reminded everyone how important it was for ALL players to have read and signed the Accident Waiver and Release of Liabilities Forms(Roster). Rosters should be turned in at the March 26th meeting.
16. Tom said there was a strong desire to add more teams to the East Div. We discussed the various ways to “advertise” and promote the league.
17. Frank Roszell provided a letter to the Board. His concern is that the league’s goals are to “have fun, develop lasting friendships, compete athletically, enjoy exercise.” He argues that some teams in the C Div are “busting up resulting in lasting friendships being broken up and fun not being realized.” There was a great deal of discussion but no motions were made.
18. Tom adjourned the meeting.