11 Dec Association Minutes – 11/21/2019
METROPLEX SENIOR CITIZENS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
Subject: Association Minutes from the November 21, 2019 meeting
1. Meeting was called to order by Jim Gibbons, Vice President.
2. Jim led the Board saying the Lord’s Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. There was a motion to approve the June 21st Secretary’s report. It was seconded and approved.
4. The balance in our checking account is $4126.56. There was a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. It was seconded and approved.
5. It was recommended from the floor to have the 2020 season open on 3/31 and on 9/20. Tom Athens, President said that would be considered when the schedule is created.
6. Based on current information, the 2020 season will have 22 teams in the 65+ Div and 8 teams in the 55+ Div.
7. New coaches were asked to introduce themselves.
8. Clint McLeroy announced that he is retiring from coaching and playing. He encouraged managers to do a better job of managing. He specifically pointed out that players are disputing calls etc instead of letting the managers talk it over and make decisions.
9. Tom announced that next year we will celebrating 40 years of playing senior softball in the DFW area. He suggested we purchase commemorative pins. The total cost would be around $750. There was a motion to buy pins to celebrate the 40 year anniversary. It was seconded and approved.
10. There was a motion to authorize the purchase of softballs for next season. It was seconded and approved.
11. Tom reported that the golf tournament had 62 participants and we had a $700 profit. We have already booked the same location for 10/21/2020.
12. The league website has been updated with pictures from the Softball and Golf tournaments. Updated rainout numbers, Roster and Liability forms are also on the website.
13. 2019 League winners will receive collared shirts and the tournament winners will get tee shirts.
14. Tom recommended teams that win their division and also the tournament be awarded one award i.e. commemorative ring.
15. Rich Kaczmarski, Member-at-Large led the nomination/election process for Executive Committee offices that open in 2020. The following individuals have expressed a willingness to serve: Bill Mego – Secretary, Dennis Bashore –Member-at-large, Tom Athens- President. The slate of candidates were approved by acclamation.
16. There was a motion to do away with the infield fly rule in the 65+ division until for the first half of the season. At the mid-season meeting, the results will be evaluated and the board will have an opportunity to continue or change the rule.
17. There was a motion that some of our playing rules to allow coaches more freedom on who plays in a game. Specifically, to allow a player to just play defense and not bat. There was no second.
18. There was a motion to move the 2020 65+ tournament to the Hurst complex. There was a second and it was approved.
19. There was a motion to start games with a 1-1 count. There was a second. The motion was defeated.
20. Tom announced that David Martin, our umpire-in-chief, is willing to hold a clinic to train umpires. Tom encouraged each team to send at least on representative.
21. There was a discussion to move Lewisville and Irving from the West 65+ division to the East division. There was a motion to continue with the current team alignment. It was seconded and approved.
22. There was a motion to allow a manager to appeal to the first base umpire for plays at home plate. It was seconded but was not approved.
23. Any team that needs a new home plate should contact Jim Delmar,
24. Tom discouraged teams from losing games, on purpose, in order to “better” position themselves for the tournament.
25. Tom recommended the Board consider playing extra inning league games like tournament games starting with a runner at 2nd base or even consider playing extra innings with the batter starting with a 3-2 count.
26. Tom recomnmended all divisions play with the .52 core ball.
27. There was a motion to allow the Executive Board to take any required action or make decisions for the league between meetings. The general membership has the right to reverse any unpopular action at the next meeting. There was a second and it was approved.
28. Tom recommended we allow one week between the end of the league play and the post season tournaments. Consider playing the Senior Men 55+ and the Senior Men 65+ on different weeks. This would allow several things. 1. The same facilities could be used. 2. The better umpires could work both tournaments. 3. It would allow the tournament committee more time.
29. Tom adjourned the meeting.