11 Oct Minutes from Oct 1, 2018 Board Meeting
METROPLEX SENIOR CITIZENS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
Subject: Association Minutes from the October 1, 2018 meeting
1. Tom Athens called the meeting to order.
2. Tom lead the Lord’s Prayer.
3. Tom lead the Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Dennis Bashore, Secretary, presented the June 27th minutes(on the league website). There was a motion to approve the minutes. There was a second and it was approved.
5. Jim Delmar, Treasurer, said we had a current balance of $3,827.19. There was a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. It was seconded and approved.
6. Along with the agenda, Tom provided the 2018 Softball Tournament Rules, Unique 2018 Tournament Rules and the Senior Softball-USA Code of Ethics.
7. Tom lead a discussion about adding the flip-flop or mercy rule to the tournament. It was decided that in a future meeting we would decide if we wanted to use the mercy rule.
8. There was also discussion about who chooses the dugout they play from. As in the past, the first team to secure a dugout gets it. If a team is playing their next game on the same field, they can stay in that dugout.
9. Our paid tournament umpires will make all calls. The 1st and 3rd base coaches will only coach. Umpire decisions are final. Before each game, the coaches must submit their lineup to the umpire. A player sitting on the bench can be a pinch runner. This year’s winners will receive shirts.
10. 4 teams indicated they need new homeplate mats and 1 team needs a mask.
11. Tom reported that we had 44 entries for the golf tournament. Last year we had
68 players. It will be held at Prairie Lakes GC in Grand Prairie on 10/30.
Tom encouraged the managers to market the event.
12. The November Board meeting will include election of Treasurer and VP. Individuals who are interested should contact Tom.
13. Tom suggested that in the 2019 season we should consider having 2 divisions and doing away with Divisions A, B and C. There would still be an East and West for 65 and over and one for persons 55 and over. There was agreement that this should be discussed at the November meeting.
14. It was also agreed that at the next meeting we would discuss prizes(possibly teeshirts) for the winners of their individual leagues.
15. A Division championship game(s) between the Arlington Cubs and Desoto Dukes will be played Oct23rd at Mike Lewis Park.
16. B Division Round Robin Tournament will start Oct 8th at the Hurst Complex
17. The C Division Tournament will be played Oct 9-12 at the Harold Patterson Sports Complex in Arlington.
18. Tom discussed some of the difficult disciplinary actions that had to be taken this past year. Suspensions had to be given. Also, some A Div players were also playing in the C Division. This caused some forfeits. Tom introduced and asked coaches to read the Senior Softball-USA Code of Ethics.
19. Tom adjourned the meeting.