07 Jul Association Board Minutes – June 27,2018
METROPLEX SENIOR CITIZENS SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION
Subject: Association Board Meeting held on June 27, 2018
1. Tom Athens called the meeting to order.
2. Tom led the group in the “Lord’s Prayer”.
3. Ed led the Pledge of Allegiance.
4. In Dennis Bashore’s (Secretary) absence, Tom Athens presented the minutes from the March 22nd meeting. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes. The motion was passed.
5. Jim Delmar, Treasurer, reported we had a current balance of $3990.29. A motion was made and seconded to approve the Treasurers report. Expenses including funeral arrangement for Troy Wommack, home plate mats and softballs. The motion was passed.
6. A discussion of the email “Playing on Multiple Teams” dated 02 June 2018. No player may play on more than one team in the MSCSA League. As an example, an “A” Division player may not play on a “B” or “C” Division team and vice versa. Violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action to include game forfeiture and suspension. In order for a player to switch teams, both coaches have to sign off on the transfer. The player’s current coach must release the player in writing and the accepting coach must also acknowledge this transfer in writing. If the player’s current coach refuses to release the player then it can be appealed to the board for a decision within 48 hours. A motion was made & seconded to add a rule stating that No player may play on more than one team in the MSCSA League. The motion was passed.
7. Reminder for B & C team coaches to email scores in no later than Friday after Thursday’s games. The group decided that the winning team coach would be responsible for submitting theses scores.
8. A reiteration & confirmation of Rule 5a – Team Rosters which allows a minimum of 9 players to avoid a forfeit. A team with less than nine players may receive one or more players for both defense & offense from the opposing team at that team coach’s discretion. In this scenario, the game will be played as normal with the winning team posting the score. Other scenarios may include providing a defensive player (i.e., catcher) who will bat with his/her own team.
9. Discussion of “Warm-Up Pitches” between innings after the 1st inning. The rule states that the time allowed is 60 seconds/ or 3 pitches whichever comes first. It was noted that time starts after the 3rd out of the previous offensive inning.
10. Tom presented Dennis Bashore’s email regarding this year’s golf tournament. Dennis will not be able to manage or coordinate the tournament this year. Board is asking for someone to step up and take charge. Dennis offered to provide guidance and assistance. Dennis has requested a quote from Riverchase but has not received a reply as of this date.
11. Grand Prairie has submitted a flyer announcing their “Senior Softball Tournament” on October 20, 2018 at Mike Lewis Park. Registration commences 01 Aug 18. Fee: $225 per team. Double Elimination. Age groups: 55-59; 60-64 & 65-Up. For info/registration contact Rod Hayes at 972-237-7532. In addition to softball games there will be pickleball, bowling, golf, ping pong, etc.
12. After the meeting, softballs and Home Plate Mats will be distributed to the “C” League teams.
13. Frank Roszell presented a position regarding the subjective ability of the home plate umpire to correctly judge the minimum 6 foot height of the softball pitch.
Resolution: If the pitch is either too low or high, the home plate umpire must call “Illegal Pitch” before the softball hits the ground so the batter can have an opportunity to react. There is no “Warning” call allowed by the umpire. The illegal pitch call counts as a ball. A batter may hit an illegal pitch.
14. Discussion regarding using the smaller softballs (11 inch circumference) when women are batting in the game. Motion was made but not seconded.
15. “C” Division Tournaments. Motion was made & seconded to continue same format with 8 upper and 12 lower team brackets. Motion passed.
16. Discussion regarding providing recognition T-Shirts, or caps, etc. for B & C League Winners as well as awards for tournament winners.
17. End of Season Tournaments”
“A” Division Round Robin Tournament – Oct 15th & 16th at Mike Lewis Park.
“B” Division Round Robin Tournament – Oct 8th & 9th at Hurst Athletic Complex.
“C” Division Round Robin Tournament – Oct 10th thru 12th at Harold Patterson Sports Complex. May have to start early on the 9th due to numerous teams in the “C” Divisions
Working on providing enough regulation umpires for all tournament games. The home plate umpire will be the only umpire, he will make all the calls including those on the bases. Coaches will be only coaches.
18. Our next Board meeting will be in September. Date to be determined. The tournament brackets will be provided at that time.
19. Discussion regarding a proposal to divide the “C” West Division into two smaller divisions. Issue tabled until next year.
20. Elections for Vice-President & Treasurer to take place at the November 2018. Submitted nominations to board.
21. Clint McLeroy(Lewisville Bandits) stated that some fields do not have batters’ boxes as our rules call for. Tom will add the verbiage for marking the batters’ boxes in our playing rules.
22. After the regular Board Meeting, Tom Athens convened the B Division for a short meeting. Results were:
– Lines will not be used at 2nd and 3rd base starting the 2nd half.
– Sliding will be allowed in the B League.
– If a doubleheader is scheduled for Tuesday and a team forfeits game 1 then they also forfeit game 2 unless both coaches agree to play on Thursday, then they must notify Tom or Jim D by 3:30pm Wednesday so Grand Prairie Parks can be notified to have a field available.
23. Tom adjourned the meeting.